1 an edge between a sidewalk and a roadway consisting of a line of curbstones (usually forming part of a gutter) [syn: curbing, kerb]
2 a horse's bit with an attached chain or strap to check the horse [syn: curb bit]
4 the act of restraining power or action or limiting excess; "his common sense is a bridle to his quick temper" [syn: bridle, check]
1 lessen the intensity of; temper; hold in restraint; hold or keep within limits; "moderate your alcohol intake"; "hold your tongue"; "hold your temper"; "control your anger" [syn: control, hold in, hold, contain, check, moderate]
2 to put down by force or authority; "suppress a nascent uprising"; "stamp down on littering"; "conquer one's desires" [syn: suppress, stamp down, inhibit, subdue, conquer]
3 keep to the curb; "curb your dogs"
- A row of concrete along the edge of a road.
- A raised margin along the edge of something, as a strengthening.
- Something that checks or restrains.
- A riding or driving bit for a horse that has rein action that amplifies the pressure in the mouth by leverage advantage placing pressure on the poll via the crown piece of the bridle and the chin groove via a curb chain.
restrain, rein in
- Dutch: intomen
Curb may refer to:
- Curb (road), or kerb, the edge where a raised pavement/sidewalk/footpath, road median, or road shoulder meets an unraised street or other roadway
- Curb Records, a record label started by Mike Curb in 1973
- Curb Your Enthusiasm, HBO comedy show
- Curb (album), Nickelback's first full-length album
- Curb bit, a type of bit used for riding horses
- Curb (horse), classically known as a sprain of the long plantar ligament in horses, but now more fully described as injury to one or a combination of soft tissue structures in this region.
- The Curb is a nickname for the American Stock Exchange, from its original name The New York Curb Exchange.
- Kerb (disambiguation)
American Stock Exchange, Amex, Tarmac, Tarvia, Wall Street, abstain, arrest, arrestation, asphalt, back band, backpedal, backstrap, backwater, bearing rein, bellyband, bit, bitumen, bituminous macadam, blacktop, blinders, blinds, board, border stone, bottle up, bourse, brake, breeching, brick, bridle, caparison, cavesson, cement, chain, check, checkrein, cheekpiece, chinband, chock, cinch, clip the wings, clog, cobble, cobblestone, collar, commodity exchange, concrete, constrain, constraint, contain, control, cool, cool off, cooling, cooling down, cooling off, corn pit, countercheck, crownband, crupper, curb bit, curb exchange, curb market, curbing, curbstone, curtail, curtailment, dam up, damp, dampen, damper, decelerate, deceleration, delay, detain, dompt, doorstop, drag, drag sail, draw rein, drift anchor, drift sail, drogue, ease off, ease up, edgestone, enjoin, entrammel, exchange, exchange floor, fetter, flag, flagging, flagstone, gag swivel, girth, govern, gravel, guard, hackamore, halter, hames, hametugs, hamper, harness, headgear, headstall, hinder, hindrance, hip straps, hobble, hog-tie, hold, hold at bay, hold back, hold down, hold fast, hold in, hold in check, hold in leash, hold up, holdback, impede, inhibit, inhibition, injunction, intercept, interdict, interfere, intermeddle, interrupt, intervene, jaquima, jerk line, keep, keep back, keep from, keep in, keep in check, keep under control, kerb, kerbstone, lay under restraint, leash, legal restraint, let down, let up, lines, lose ground, lose momentum, lose speed, macadam, manacle, martingale, meddle, moderate, monopoly, noseband, obstruct, oppose, outside market, over-the-counter market, pavement, pavestone, paving, paving stone, pelham, pit, pole strap, prohibit, prohibition, protection, protectionism, protective tariff, pull, pull in, quotation board, rationing, reef, refrain, rein, rein in, reins, relax, remora, repress, resist, restrain, restraint, restraint of trade, retard, retardation, retrench, retrenchment, ribbons, road metal, saddle, scotch, sea anchor, self-control, set back, shackle, shaft tug, side check, slack off, slack up, slacken, slow, slow down, slow up, slowing down, snaffle, snub, spoke, stay, stock exchange, stock market, stock ticker, stone, stop, straiten, subdue, suppress, surcingle, tack, tackle, take in sail, tariff wall, tarmacadam, telephone market, the Big Board, the Exchange, third market, thought control, throttle down, ticker, ticker tape, tie, tie up, tile, trammel, trappings, tug, washboard, wheat pit, winker braces, withhold, yoke